|Do you know why this woman is smiling?|
10. I no longer have to perform according to anyone's expectations except my own.
9. I swim every day during non-peak hours. That means I don't have to race to the pool before 5 a.m. and fight for a lane.
8. I devote huge amounts of time to turning our property into a homestead, growing as much of our food as I can.
7. I take classes for myself, not to satisfy the Board of Education's licensure requirements. (I just finished a 6-week woodworking class!)
6. I enjoy cooking again.
5. I read more.
4. I have time to work on my art! How wonderful it is to spend entire days in my studio being creative without time constraints.
3. I love on and play with our dogs and cats so much more. That is an investment of time that pays you back with tons of affection and entertainment.
2. I get to hang out with my husband, who also retired this summer.
1. I can use the bathroom whenever I please. (Those of you who have not been teachers can never truly appreciate the luxury of this. Teaching is the only profession where you can't go pee whenever you want.)
To my friends who are still working, my wish is that you arrive here sooner rather than later so you can settle into the joy of being in charge of your own life!